Sometimes, when it comes data storage, there is nothing more valuable than getting a product that would give you a significant amount of space to work with. When you get yourself an external hard drive, you would want it to be the best of the best or else there is no point in spending that much money in the first place. Seagate provides some of the finest storage solutions out there, which is a big part of why its products are highly regarded and provide numerous people with high-quality storage solutions every single day.
The Seagate Backup Plus 8 TB was built to be the absolute pinnacle of external storage drives. Does it meet its goal? Well, the answer to that is a little complicated. In the review provided below, you will read about the various qualities that make this product superior to many similar devices on the market as well as learn about its various shortcomings that might give you pause if you are thinking of buying it.
Design-wise, Seagate has failed to do anything of substance. The aesthetics of this product are uninspired, to say the least, but it is fair to say that Seagate did what it always does, which is go for functionality above all else. Hence, when you use this product, you are really going to feel like you are using something phenomenal, which sort of makes up for the design. Still, Seagate’s dedication to simplicity often leads to rather elegant product designs, however unintentional they may be, so it is a little disappointing that it was not able to pull off something like that here.
One aspect of the design that you might not like is the fact that it is rather bulky. While you are certainly going to get a portable 8 TB backup drive, this product is a lot heavier than you would think it is. This can be a real problem because its size is also pretty significant, which means that you would have quite a bit of difficulty if you don’t have a very large home. A lot of the houses people live in these days are pretty compact, so many would avoid this product because of the size issues it would give them.
All in all, this product misses out a bit in the design department. However, you would be happy to know that it manages to excel quite a bit in the performance department, which more than makes up for this shortcoming. After all, performance is the factor that matters the most.
Seagate is the sort of company that always prefers performance over everything else. This is why its products often do not look too nice, as the company is too busy focusing on the practical aspects to care about anything else.
The first thing that you need to know is that this is a very powerful device. It has a ton of storage space for you to use, so much so that even a music producer would be able to store all of their important files and tracks without having to worry about how much space is left. This is truly one of the most spacious external hard drives out there, which is one of the reasons why it has become so popular after being released.
This product also showed some absolutely phenomenal read and write speeds, which justifies the bulky size to some extent. You will realize that this product is only able to function at such a high capacity because it has the hardware that allows it to do so. Of course, this hardware is going to be physically large and would weigh a lot, but that won’t be too much of a problem if your storage needs are so high.
One aspect of this product’s performance that you might not appreciate is the fact that it is not all that easy to use. In fact, this product can be a downright nightmare if you are not tech savvy. However, it should be noted that this really isn’t a problem for most people who would require this much space in the first place.
- Read/write speeds: One of the most important aspects of any external hard disk is how quickly it can write data to the drive and how efficiently it can read data from said drive. With this product, you are going to experience a very smooth output if you are playing content directly from this product. You would also love how quickly data gets written on; even if you have a large file transfer, it would be done in no time and the data would be written extremely accurately with none of it getting corrupted or lost in the process.
- Durability: The data that you are going to be storing in this device would obviously be extremely important. Since this is an external storage drive that has eight whole terabytes of space available, there is also going to be a lot of data that you would want to keep safe. This product is so solid that even a drop here and there would leave your data untouched, safe and sound. This is a huge benefit because it would help you get faith in the fact that this product would actually be able to protect the files you store in it.
- Storage space: It is very clear just how much space this product provides, but do you understand it in relative terms? Eight TB is not just theoretically a large amount of space, but it has practical implications as well. There are a lot of people who would need some extra space in order to store their valuable data, and perhaps the section of consumers that would be most enticed by this high storage space are music producers. Music files, while they are being mixed, can be quite large in size and would take up a lot of space. This product is, thus, perfect for fitting these lossless files in a safe place.
- Price: Since you are getting an excellent product that would give you a bunch of different benefits and has the sort of functionality that is truly high end, you might be expecting to pay a king’s ransom for it. However, you would be pleasantly surprised to see that the price range this product is offered at is very affordable indeed, so much so that you are going to be able to afford it, even if you are on a tight budget. This is surprising because one does not expect to get so much at so affordable a price.
- Functionality: The great thing about this product is that it has been built for convenience more than anything else. While you are using it, you would find a lot of different options that would enable you to program it as you see fit. This means that you can schedule data transfer ahead of time, allowing you to rest easy knowing that your data is being backed up even if you forget to do it manually. This is, without a doubt, the sort of product forgetful people need in their lives!
- Energy efficient: One of the qualms that people tend to have about using external hard disks is the fact that they use up so much energy. This product has been designed to avoid this problem altogether. The design is very energy efficient indeed, and your system would not notice any spikes in activity at all but would rather be able to continue running as normal. The main benefit of this is that you would not experience any overheating issues, which are the sort of thing that could end up doing some significant damage to your computer or laptop which is something you would obviously want to avoid.
- Weight and size: The size of this product is something that would certainly make it difficult for you to attain a truly satisfying experience when you use it. This is because this is a really bulky product that does not offer all that much in the way of portability, so the chances are that you would be unsatisfied if you need something that you can move around here and there. However, if you are using this in a studio space, you are probably going to have a much better time using it because it would have more room to fit into.
- Ease of use: Another thing about this product that you might not like is the fact that it is not all that easy to use. If you know how technology tends to work, then the chances are that you would face no trouble whatsoever, but at the same time, it is important to realize that the setup process for this device might be challenging for even the most proficient and knowledgeable of individuals. Hence, when you buy this device, prepare yourself for a long, hard slog spent learning how to use it in the first place. However, it should be noted that after you learn how to use it, continuing its use would not be all that big a deal.
- Design: Again, Seagate has created a product that ignored aesthetics completely. However, it is likely that you are not going to care all that much about this. After all, you are getting the product for its storage space and features, not how it looks. Still, the lack of aesthetic appeal is quite jarring here and might just prevent you from getting a holistic experience from this product overall. Hence, if looks are the sort of thing that matter to you, this product might be the wrong thing to go for.
- Compatibility: Compatibility is the sort of thing that a lot of users are just not going to be worried about. This is because they probably have Windows 10 or Mac OS, two operating systems that pretty much every device is compatible with. However, this product is not compatible with all that wide a variety of operating systems. This can be quite annoying for some people, especially if they use an older version of Windows or a Linux-based operating system. If you have a standard OS, though, you should face no problems.
What you have here could easily be considered one of the most significant advancements in storage space technology in recent times. There are a few drawbacks, but all of them are a result of this product’s absolutely incredible performance. The only real problem that you might have with this product would come from the lack of compatibility, which is rather odd considering this product takes everything else to the next level. All in all, this is a product that has completely changed the way people approach this type of technology, and its price point makes it an excellent option for you to consider.