SanDisk used to be the best of the best when it came to external storage drives, but when technology started to move forward, the company began to lag behind the competition. However, recent improvements to the company’s product line have revitalized SanDisk’s standing in the world of external data storage, and the new Extreme 510 is an example of how SanDisk might just be making a long-awaited comeback.
Rather than add new features Rather than add new features to a product it is still trying to attract consumers with, SanDisk went for a different approach. It went with style and reliability over innovation. This worked out for it in a few ways and ended up backfiring in others. There will be a lot of people on both sides who have widely differing points of view about this product, especially because of how it handled its launch in a world where brand-new features are key.
In the review provided below, you will get an idea whether SanDisk made the right move by playing it safe or if it should have taken the plunge and offered something a little bolder.
It is pretty clear that SanDisk put a lot of effort into the design of this product. To start off with, this is a product that is perhaps far more durable than anything else you would’ve seen in the market. This means that it is not just shock resistant, but it is resistant to dust and water as well, thus allowing you to keep your data completely secure. This is also perhaps one of the most aesthetically pleasing products on the market, which would surely make a few people who care about this sort of thing happy.
In spite of the fact that nothing all that new is being offered here, this product performs very well when compared to similar devices on the market. In fact, it does not just match the competition but manages to beat it, albeit by a very small margin. Both reading and writing speeds are top notch for this category. It is clear that SanDisk is using its design as the innovation and is focusing on providing the best quality it can possibly provide in all other aspects of this device, essentially its performance.
- Durability: When you think of durability with SSDs, you generally think of the product being able to take a few drops here and there. You certainly would not be expecting something like this, which would be able to survive even if you dropped it into water. Dust can end up damaging hard drives over a long period of time, so the fact that this product protects your data by being resistant to dust is something that would serve as a great example of how this product is worth spending money on.
- Price: Another major factor that would make you want to buy this product is its price. It is offered at a price that is very reasonable, especially when you consider what you’re getting in return. The fact that this product is so durable also comes into play here. Not only are you saving money thanks to the excellent price, but you will also save money in the long run. This is because you would be able to continue using this product for an extended period of time without having to worry about wear and tear.
- Read/write speeds: Although by no means revolutionary, the read and write speeds of this product are marginally better than all of its competitors. This, along with the superior durability, makes it the best product of its kind on the market.
- Portability: Due to the lightweight nature of this product along with its compact size, it is extremely easy to carry around with you wherever you go. This makes it easy to have your important data with you at all times, thus allowing you to stay connected with your files no matter where you go.
- Lack of new features: For all of its durability and solid performance, it does not offer anything new for you to try. It is a solid product in spite of the lack of innovation, but at the same time, the average consumer would want a little more than high durability if they are going to be convinced to buy a product like this one.
- Comparatively low storage space: Although 480 GB is definitely a great deal of space, there are plenty of products out there that offer a lot more than that. However, it should be noted that these products are generally more expensive and they are not quite as solid as this device.
All in all, this is an excellent product offered by SanDisk. The lack of innovation is something that a few people are going to complain about, but at the end of the day, you are getting a decent amount of storage, rock-solid durability, and extremely efficient reading and writing speeds. When you consider the price that it is being offered at, this product really does seem like a bargain. It is top of the line when you discount the fact that nothing new was added. When you think about it, there really was no need for anything new in such a brilliant design.