A welding helmet is one of the most crucial safety accessory necessary for a welder. Welding is a hazardous job which, without the required protection, could be disastrous. As a result, a welder needs to make a conscious effort to keep him protected from the dangers that come from welding.
One of such accessories is the welding helmet. The welding helmet is critical to a welder’s safety as it keeps the welder from the hazards posed by the welding process. As a result, the eyes are protected from sparks, UV rays, sparks that come from welding.
There are many categories for welding helmets. With the advance in technology, it is now possible to have a welding helmet that can be charged with sunlight.
However, it is not enough to just head to the market and buy the first solar-powered welding helmet that comes your way. To guide you in making the right choice, we will review the ten best solar powered auto darkening welding helmet that can be bought online. We will list the pros and cons and hopefully guide you in selecting the best solar powered auto darkening helmet that will be suitable for you and your job.
Top 10 Best Solar Power Auto-Darkening Welding Helmets
1. Antra AH6-260-0000 Solar Power Auto Darkening Welding Helmet Review
Seeking a highly reliable solar powered auto darkening helmet? The Antra AH6-260-0000 solar powered helmet is a reliable choice. Very responsive helmet that can be used for TIG, NIM, and MMA welding application. It is light in weight and can be used for various welding process like cutting and grinding.
Fully automatic welding helmet with Knob for the sensitivity and delays setting. Comes with a UV and IR protection. The Antra has a large viewing area with 4 premium sensors. It is powered by replaceable batteries which are assisted with solar. The helmet is made of high Impact Polyamide-Nylon.
- Can be used for various welding operation like grinding, cutting
- Made of high-quality materials
- Solar powered
- Fully automatic welding helmet
- Comes with an exterior lens cover
- Give adequate protection against all forms of UV and IR rays
- The user might have to assemble headgear
2. DEKOPRO – Solar Powered Welding Helmet Review
Seeking for a comfortable and light solar powered auto darkening welding helmet? The solar powered welding helmet with auto darkening by DEKOPRO is a very good choice. DEKOPRO is comfortable to the head, gives less pressure and well adjusted fit for the user.
The DEKOPRO helmet offers first-class protection from IR and UV rays. Meets the required safety standard – ANSI Z87.1-2010 and EN379 4/9-13 standards. With this helmet, users will enjoy huge visibility. It is suitable for long hours of operation, with a wide viewing area giving the welder the opportunity to view his work from different angles.
Powered by CR2450 battery, it can last up to 5000 hours with solar assistance.
- Has a large viewing area of 7 inches for enhanced visibility
- Light and very comfortable
- Meets the ANSI Z87.1-2010 and EN379 4/9-13 safety standards
- Ability to last as long as 5000 hours of use
- Pretty cheap
- Suitable for welding and grinding
- Finds application in metal fabrication, production etc.
- The bolts are not very strong
3. WELDTOOLS Welding Helmet Review
Multipurpose welding helmet that can handle Plasma, MIG and TIG welding. Comes with a fairly large viewing area.
Powered by Lithium batteries with solar support. Provides adequate protection to the eyes, face and all its components. Helmet is made with strong material that is resistant to fire and does not wear with time.
- Powered with lithium batteries supported by solar
- Made with strong and long lasting materials
- Soft, comfortable and light to use
- Uses the advanced circuit technology
- Protects from UV/IR rays
- Can be used for both grinding and welding mode.
- Comes with adjustable head strap
- A user complained that the lens does not darken enough.
4. Antra AH6-330-6325 Welding Helmet with Digital Control
Very responsive helmet suitable for MIG, TIG, plasma and MMA applications. With a large led display, the user can accurately see with the helmet. This is a very versatile helmet that can be used for cutting, welding, grinding and many other welding applications
Comes with the hard hat feature making it very safe for industrial use. It is even suitable to work in dark environments. The magnifying lens is sensitive and very responsive.
- Very light in weight and cheap
- Applicable for cutting and grinding
- Have a large viewing area
- Made with high impact polyamide nylon
- Durable, with an exterior cover
- The user might have to assemble the lens
5. Instapark ADF Series GX990T Solar Powered Auto Darkening Welding Helmet
The is one in the series solar powered welding helmet by Instapark. Comes with a replaceable CR2450 battery. It is a very responsive helmet that switches to dark on sensing an arc. By using this helmet, you get to increase productivity by reducing the need to flip the hood up or down.
Made of lightweight composite materials, making welding safe for users. The helmet comes with a padded interior and headband, meant to give the perfect fit irrespective of your head size. Has a very large viewing area that gives optimum protection from harmful rays produced during welding.
- A large viewing area which enables one work in a dark environment
- Superb UV and IR protection
- Grinding, welding and cutting function enabled
- Very responsive, fast and light in weight
- Eternal control and adjustment
- Very cheap
- Made of light and long-lasting materials
- Applicable to TIG, MIG and Stick welding process
- After heavy use, some of the parts get over stressed.
6. Tacklife Solar Powered Auto Darkening Welding Helmet with Top Optical Class
The Tacklife Solar Powered Auto Darkening Welding Helmet is a great choice. Has advanced configuration and a top optical clarity of 1/1/1/1, which ensures accuracy and clarity of the welding process. Versatile for all types of welding operation like cutting, grinding etc.
Able to go from light to dark in an average of 0.6 seconds, too fast for the eyes to detect. Powered by CR2450 batteries that are replaceable. A large viewing area ensures optimum clarity of all operation.
- Full optical clarity of 1/1/1/1
- Suitable for cutting, grinding and other welding operations
- A very responsive helmet
- Powered by solar hence, long hours of operation is guaranteed
- Meets the EN 379, ANSI /ISEA Z87.1-2015 safety standards
- Optimum protection from UV and IR rays that could damage the eyes
- Applicable to TIG, MMA, MAG and MIG welding types
- Light, convenient and just plain comfortable
- Comfortable and convenient to use
- Comes with 2 months warranty
- Not suitable for use in tight space
7. Solar Powered Welding Helmet with Auto Darkening and Adjustable Shade Range by ZUISU SHOP
Seeking for a cheap solar powered welding helmet with wide viewing area? With a viewing area of 7 square inches, it finds application in cutting, grinding and other welding operations.
Equipped with two CR2032 battery that can last up to 5000 hours. Suitable for professional and DIY use. Welding processes like TIG, MAG, MMA, MIG, Plasma welding and Arc Gouging, etc are the various welding application where these welding helmets are suitable.
- Automatic filter welding that uses the advanced photoelectric technology,
- Disassembling and replacing the auto-darkening lens is easy and convenient.
- Can last up to 5000 hours
- Lithium batteries supported with solar technology
- A very large viewing area
- Comes with a whole year warranty
- Comes with a headband to give the perfect fit for any head size
- Can handle MIG, MMA, plasma cutting, plasma gorging etc.
- Users will have to buy the batteries
8. Instapark ADF Series GX-500S Solar Powered Auto Darkening Welding Helmet with Adjustable Shade Range
The Instapark ADF GX-500S is a solar powered auto-darkening welding helmet with double arc sensors that trigger the auto-darkening filter. It’s a versatile auto-darkening welding helmet suitable for cutting, grinding and other welding operations. Great for applications with TIG (Tungsten Inert Gas), MIG (Metal Inert Gas) and sticks welding.
Made of composite materials that are light in weight with a custom fit. A wide viewing area gives a good view of the workpiece and total protection from UV/IR rays. The helmet has an optical rating of 1/1/1/2 and 2 arc sensors.
- Made with lightweight composite materials
- Comes with a year warranty
- Has a pretty large viewing area
- An optical rating of 1/1/1/2 gives optimum clarity
- Powered by two CR2032 lithium batteries, supported by solar technology
- The helmet conforms with the ANSI Z87.1, CSA Z94.3, AS/NZS safety standards
- It is perfect for TIG (Tungsten Inert Gas), MIG (Metal Inert Gas) and Stick (arc welding) operation
- A user complained that the adjustment knob on the side does not stay tightened.
9. Doitpower Solar-powered Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet with Two Shade Ranges 4 Arc Sensors
The Doitpower Solar-powered welding helmet comes with four premium sensors at a pretty cheap price. Light in weight and versatile, it offers optimum protection to users. The Doitpower is durable and finds application in the various welding process.
It’s recommended for personal and professional welding applications. This helmet has a very large screen with variable shade adjustments. Can be used for MIG (Metal Inert Gas), Stick (arc welding), and TIG (Tungsten Inert Gas) welding. With an optical value of 1/1/1/2, it delivers first-class optimum clarity to users.
- It conforms with the necessary safety standards – ANSI Z87.1, ROHS, ISO9001, CE, CSA Z94.3 standards
- Capable of long hours of operation due to solar assistance
- Optical clarity of 1/1/1/2 gives optimum optical clarity to reduce eye fatigue.
- Suitable for various welding operations
- Light in weight and very versatile
- Lasts very long with a wide viewing area
- Comes with a 2-year warranty
- Strong UV and IR protection for the eyes
- A user complained of the selector switch on the outside
10. Instapark ADF Series GX990T Solar Powered Auto Darkening Welding Helmet
The Instapark ADF Series GX990T Solar Powered Auto Darkening helmet comes with four arc sensors that go from light to dark on detecting an arc. It comes with a single replaceable CR2445 battery that is supported by solar technology. This gives long hours of operation.
With a wide viewing area, it gives optimum viewing area for the welder. It is made with lightweight materials that give the right comfort for use. The Instapark ADF Series GX990T Solar Powered Auto Darkening has a nice optical clarity and gives total protection from UV and IR rays.
- Suitable for TIG (Tungsten Inert Gas), MIG (Metal Inert Gas) and Stick welding
- A huge viewing lens that gives optimum clarity
- Suitable for cutting and grinding operation
- The composite materials used are light in weight
- The headgear has padded interior and ratcheting headband for optimum protection
BUYING GUIDE: BEST SOLAR AUTO – DARKENING WELDING HELMETS
What is solar power welding helmet?
Generally, all auto-darkening welding helmets are built with batteries with which they operate. These batteries are internal and fixed. The issue is some of these welding helmets have fixed batteries which are usually charged with solar power. These type of auto-darkening helmets are charged in the sunlight after a long hour of storage and before use.
The welding industry has leveraged the importance of photovoltaic cells and technology to powering its welding helmets. These types of welding helmets over the years have been growing.
Do all solar power welding helmets has a battery? Yes!
Although quite some people believe that solar powered auto-darkening welding helmets do not come with a battery, this is a misconception. They do have a battery that powers the arc, with low powered rechargeable cells that are powered by the PV panel.
One of the cons of the solar powered welding helmet is that it has to be charged well, way ahead of usage. Asides, and of course, should the battery of the lens go down, the lens will not work.
What to Consider before buying a Solar Powered Auto Darkening Welding Helmet?
- Chose an auto darkening welding helmet that has a removable set of battery
- Consider getting a triple-A battery since replacement is easy and cheap
- Lithium battery pack gives long battery life
Caring Tips For Your Solar Auto Darkening Welding Helmet
As important as a welding helmet is to the welder, there is need to take utmost care of the welding helmet. This is why you have to take conscious effort to learn about simple care and maintenance ideas to keep your welding helmet in top condition.
This is why I will discuss effective ways to take care of your solar powered auto-darkening welding helmets.
1. Clean the lens
The lens is the most important part of your solar powered auto darkening welding helmet. This is why you have to pay rapt attention to it. Asides, you have to be careful when cleaning the lens.
A high-quality lens cleaner is recommended for cleaning the lens. This will help remove particles that might have settled on the lens. With a cotton bud, apply the lens cleaner and gently wipe the surface of the lens.
2. Disinfect the Welding Helmet
This is one maintenance routine that should be a habit. There are many disinfectant sprays with which you can keep your auto-darkening welding helmet in top condition
Disinfecting your lens is recommended to remove dirt, germs from breeding on the helmet. The helmet needs to be in impeccable condition to ensure that you breathe in the safe air while using it.
3. Inspect the helmet
Periodic inspection is one of the best preventive maintenance tips in caring for your helmet. Ideally, you should inspect your helmet at least once a month. You have to take the time to scrutinize the helmet and seek for issues like damage, cracks, dents etc before getting out of hand.
You should pay attention to the lens, being the most important part of the helmet. Run your hand on the glass of the lens and feel or dents, cracks etc.
4. Replacement and Repairs
As expected, part replacement is the most costly part of maintaining the helmet. Due to the rigorous condition a welding helmet is usually exposed to, it might need repairs or replacement at times. Some parts that would probably need replacement are:
• Batteries: make a habit of buying this in bulk. Thus, when the battery goes bad, it will not meet you unprepared
• Lens: replacement for this can be gotten any welding accessory shop or online. The manual and some YouTube clips will come in handy in learning how to change the lens of a solar powered auto darkening lens.
5. Use the Storage Box
Rather than leaving your solar welding helmet lying around anywhere, we recommend using a storage box. There is a low-cost storage box that gives optimum protection for your welding helmet. A welding helmet box is highly recommended. They keep the helmet clean, safe and protected from has environmental conditions.
Conclusion: Best Solar Powered Welding Helmet
We have taken the time to examine the best auto darkening welding helmets powered by solar.