Summer, once you feel or hear that word, the first thing that will come into your mind will be pools, beaches, and other hot summer activities that can help beat the heat of summer.
If you have your private pool, then you should know that it is crucial to have a pool pump.
Pool pumps are vital because it controls the whole operation of your swimming pool, without the pump, your pool’s cleaning system will not function, and the water cannot filter the pool sufficiently.
If you don’t have a pool pump or planning to buy for a replacement, then let us help you out with your purchase.
Top 10 Best Pumps for Swimming Pools Reviewed
When purchasing pool pumps, there would be a lot of things that you should consider. You’ll consider the pump’s horsepower, type, brand, price, its energy efficiency, and more.
To help you out with your search, we have reviewed ten different types of pool pumps for your convenience. The products that are listed down below are the best pumps for the money.
1. Intex Sand Filter Pump for Above-Ground Pools
When it comes to purchasing pool merchandises, the Intex name is the most well-known and trusted brand. With their Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter, you can always keep your pool clean and debris-free. One of the best ways of keeping your pool clean is by using sand filters.
This type of pool pump can help pick up more dirt than from your pool than the other products. It can pick up more debris and algae that are floating in your pool’s water. Not only is this product useful in keeping your pool clean, but it can also help you save time and costs, the pump only requires to be cleaned once every five years.
Here are some of its best features:
- It has a 24-hour built-in timer
- Has a strainer basket for easy cleaning
- Generates a flow rate of 2,800 gallons of water per hour
- Six function control valve that allows the filter to rinse, backwash, drain, re-circulate, filter, and close the system
- All the parts are installed on the item
2. Hayward Super Pool Pump
This pump product is a technological advance pump that blends the cost-effectiveness with very durable construction. The Hayward Company has set the standard of excellence and value with their products. The pump is designed for all sizes and types of spas and in-ground pools.
The pump’s impeller features a higher flow rate by using less horsepower, unlike other pumps that are sold on the market. That means you can save more on electricity when you use this pool pump. Also, the pump comes with a 100 cubic inch basket for an extra leaf-holding room. It extends the in-between time of cleanings.
Here are the products best features:
- It has a swing-way hand knob. It makes the strainers cover easy to remove as it doesn’t any kinds of tools
- The strainer’s cover is see-through making it easier for you to see if the basket need cleaning
- Very easy to install as it only requires simple servicing and installation
- The oversized debris basket will require less maintenance
3. Intex Cartridge Filter Pump
Here is another high-quality pump from Intex. This cartridge pool pump will make sure that your pool always stays refreshing and clear all summer, and this is thanks to its 2,500 GPH filter pump.
This pump is made explicitly for above-ground pools. It is effortless to install and only requires little effort when assembling. This pump is unlike the others, it insulated and had an automatic timer which you can pre-set in 2 to 12-hour cycles.
With this product, you will also get one replaceable filter cartridge that is straightforward t maintain.
Here are its best features:
- Very easy to use, simply change the old cartridge with a new one every two weeks
- Double insulated pump
- An air release valve to release air that is trapped inside the filter’s chamber
- Sediment flush valve
- Ideal to be used on 18 feet metal frame, 18 feet easy set, or 18 x 10 feet oval frame pools
4. Hayward Power-Flo LX Series
Like most people, you would also want to purchase an item that would be worth the price, right? So we provide you with another durable product from Hayward, with this product, you will surely get your money’s worth. The Power-Flo LX series is uniquely designed for above-ground swimming pools.
The pump’s large profile and integrated style, it makes the product, unlike the other products. It has a large debris basket that will help keep your pool maintenance into a minimum.
With the machine’s heavy-duty but high-performing motor with an integrated auto-thermal overload protector, you can surely use the pump’s operation for many years
Here are more of the product’s features:
- Clear covered basket allowing you to see if it needs cleaning
- Corrosion proof thermoplastic housing great for all types of weather condition
- Quiet operation
- Its drip-proof and heat resistant double-sized seal allows it to have a long motor life
- The pump is designed for both above and in-ground swimming pools
5. Pentair SuperFlo Variable Speed Pool Pump
One of the best features of this Pentair SuperFlo pool pump is its quiet operation. The pump is stocked with an ultra-quiet TEFC motor, which is why it creates less noise, unlike other the pool pump products.
This is also one of the only pumps that have a real-time, 24-hour clock, together with an advanced digital display. The feature is really simple to monitor and program. This pump is also the only VS replacement pump available that doesn’t need any expensive rewiring.
This product runs on either 115 or 230-volt power. Another great feature of this pump is that it has an easy-access wiring compartment, which will make the connection fast and very straightforward.
Here is a summarized description of the product:
- It has a real-time 24-hour digital clock
- The digital control pad is very simple to use
- Uses an ultra-quiet TEFC motor or Enclosed Fan-Cooled
- It has three speeds that are programmable. Also, it has an override capability
6. Wayne Automatic Water Removal Pool Cover Pump
This product has a maximum flow rate of 3,000 gallons per hour by using a one ¼” hose. The pump comes with a check valve with a ¾” adapter of garden hose to reduce the repetitive cycle. It is also included with a 25-inch power cord and a 25-inch pulling rope, which will help you position the pump on the pool’s cover.
With this water removal pump, you would surely be glad to have it, especially when you wake up to find a pool with a lot of debris. Wayne’s product is an excellent solution for excess water buildup and debris.
The pump has automatic freeze protection which will help protect it from damages.
Other features of the pool pump:
- It is energy-efficient, oil-free, and high flow pump
- Built-in auto freeze protection to prevent damage on the pump
- Simply plug it in and leave the pump unattended for worry-free removal of water.
- Built-in iSwitch technology automatically turns the pump on or off upon sensing the water’s presence
7. Harris ProForce Pool Pump
This Harris Pool Pump is not as expensive as the other well-known pool pump products, but do not underestimate it as it provides you as much power and great function as the other renowned pumps. You will be surprised by the outstanding result and durability of the product.
The pump is designed with corrosion-proof, heavy-duty housing. It also comes with a stainless steel motor casing, which is made of a reinforced thermoplastic body to provide more durability and lifespan.
It is also made with advanced engineering for your convenience, the motor creates less noise but still provides high-efficiency performance.
The product’s features:
- The motor shaft is constructed with a thermoplastic body for a longer lifespan and high durability
- Exceeds the ETL and CSA’s requirements
- Its advanced engineering provides you with minimum noise and high efficiency
8. Blue Wave Maxi Replacement Pump
It has the same quality as the Sta-Rite, Pentair, and Hayward. It also has a self-priming pump for easy cleaning. Also, it has a clear lid to allow you to see if it needs cleaning or draining.
This pump can fit most filter systems. It has a dual-port design for either horizontal or vertical discharge. This powerful replacement pump for above-ground pools features a corrosion-proof construction, which will deliver you with many years of reliable service.
Here are a few more features of this product:
- It requires 110-volt power
- The pumps clear lid will allow you to clean it easily
- It is available in two sizes: available in 1 HP or 1.5 HP pumps
9. Sand Master Soft Sided Sand Filter System
This is an economical pump and a sand filter system upgrade for above ground pools that are soft-sided. Its system is suitable for swimming pools that are up to 9,600 gallons and features a robust system base, 20 GPM pump, and a four-position multiport valve.
The 12-inch corrosion-proof filter tank can hold for up to 42 lbs. of sand, the pump’s package is included with a complete pump to filter the hose, two 1.25 inch x 7.5 feet hoses, and all the necessary fittings. The system is straightforward to install and can be operated in a 115-volt power.
10. Little Giant Pool Cover Pump – Cheapest Pool Pump
With the Little Giant, you can easily prepare your pool in the next season in just a snap. Easily pump out all the standing water from your winter pool cover. This pump works great for water transfer jobs in households.
The great thing about this product is that it requires no installation. It also features a ¾ inch connection for a garden hose and a removable intake screen for easy maintenance and cleaning. The screen helps ensures that the debris doesn’t clog your pump.
Finding the Right Size of Pool Pump
Pool filters are usually oversized and will often fit into your pool, but with pool pumps, it needs to fit in your pool perfectly. Having the right size of the pump will filter throughout your pool for 8 hours or more.
You need to determine the specific numbers needed for your pool, here’s what you should look for in a pump:
Desired GPM (Gallons Per Minute) Flow Rate
This is the most essential thing that you should look for in a pump. This is the number of gallons per minute that your pump needs to pump to circulate your whole pool in 8 hours.
Resistance (The Feet of Head)
This is the average length that it takes for your skimmer to reach the pump. If you have a single skimmer on your in-ground pool, then this would be the number. But if you have a few more skimmers, you’ll have to find the average length of each.
Here are four steps that you can follow:
- Find out how many gallons of water that your pool holds.
- You need to find out how many gallons per minute (GPM) your pump needs to pump.
- Measure your pool’s Feet of Head
- Look for the best suitable pump for your pool
What is a Pool Pump?
First of all, what is a pool pump? Like we have mentioned earlier, it is a device that controls the pool’s whole operation. So basically, it is the swimming pools heart of the flow system.
The primary role of the machine is to draw the water out of the pool from the main drain, the skimmer will then push the water through the filtration system, and will send it back to the swimming pool.
Here are the main components of the filter pump:
- Hair and Lint Trap
This trap prevents the pool’s debris from getting into the impeller’s assembly.
A pool pump uses an electric motor that uses 110 or 220 volts of power. It spins for up to 3, 450 rpm. Most pool pumps are air-cooled, meaning it isn’t completely sealed from its surroundings. However, you should be careful not to let the excess water get into the motor through the cooling vents that are underneath the housing.
This component is attached at the end of the motor’s shaft. Its role is to generate high pressurized water in the centrifuge, and it is also driven by the pump’s motor. Once the impeller turns, it pushes the water into the impeller’s outer edges. The water will exit through the pipe that leads to the filter.
Useful: Want to know how much water is in your pool? Check pool calculator
3 Types of Pool Pumps and Its Pros and Cons
These past years, and for the years to come, the manufacturers of pool pumps have improved their machine’s capabilities. These pumps used to be only a single-speed motor that pumps water from the pool through the filter system and then back in. But now, the pumps now come in three types which are single-speed, variable speed, and dual-speed motors.
Here’s a brief review of the different types of pool pumps:
Single-Speed Pool Pump
This is the most common type of pool pump available in most stores. The single-speed motor spins the impeller in only one speed; the amount of power exerted will depend on the motor’s horsepower.
- It is highly capable of pumping water
- The speed is constantly set on high ensuring excellent water circulation throughout your swimming pool
- It is relatively popular even with the release of other types of pool pumps
- Affordable and can be found easily when making replacements
- It is cheaper than different types of pool pumps, but not as energy-efficient than the other pool pumps
- Uses more electricity since it constantly pumps water at high speed
- It is much louder than the other pool pumps
Variable Speed Pool Pump
If a single-speed pump is the most common type of pump in the market, then the variable speed types are the most popular pump in stores. These pumps are trendy, but at the same time, the most expensive ones, unlike the conventional pumps.
Unlike the single or dual-speed pumps, the variable speed pumps use a permanent magnet motor which is the same as those that are used in electric cars. The magnetized motor will let you set the flow rate at any speed that will best suit your pool. The less friction of the motor will be equals to more efficiency.
- It operates on a PMM or permanent magnet motor
- It lasts longer than the other pumps
- Creates less noise
- The pump is cooler than the other pumps
- Save more money on energy costs
- It is programmed to pump only what is necessary for your pool
- The speed is set automatically when the pump needs to do a different task
- This pump is much more expensive than the single and dual-speed pool pumps
Dual-Speed Pool Pump
As the pump’s name implies, this pool pump has two optional speeds which can be set to low and high. The high-speed option of the pump operates like the single-speed pump while the low-speed option will allow the pump to operate at a lower speed.
If you are cleaning your pool or dealing with a water issue, you can set the pump’s speed into its normal high speed. But if you are not dealing with any type of pool issues, then you can run the pump at low speed to save energy.
The reason why this is becoming much popular than single-speed pumps is that of its ability to use less energy.
- It is more versatile than the single speed pump
- It is mainly used for circulation and filtration of water
- Speed can be set from low to high and vice versa
- The low-speed setting will allow you to save money on energy costs
- The low-speed option creates less noise
- The high-speed option will ensure great water movement and will provide better suction
- A bit more expensive than single pumps
- The low-speed setting is too low to some pool heaters to operate
- Provides little flow when used on above ground swimming pools
- The parameters needed to be changed manually
- It may be as loud as single-speed pumps
To Wrap Up!
As you can see, there are a lot of excellent pool pump products that you can choose from. It will only depend on which of the products that you would prefer using. To give you an idea, for us the best product on this list is the Intex Sand Filter Pump. Unlike the other products, this pool pump can suck up the smallest debris that you can find in your pool.
Most pool pumps don’t have this feature which makes it a great choice. If you haven’t decided the best product for you yet, then you can try this pool pump out.