1. UGREEN 2.5” External Hard Drive Enclosure
Transferring files is at a rate up to 5Gbps which easily connects on PC, laptop, and other devices.That is 70% faster than the usual USB 3.0. The case is compatible for 2.5” SDD, HDD, and SATA hard drives with the tool-free installation.
Hard disks are protected from scratches by its soft EVA foams on inner sides. The hard drive itself has all-around protection through ABS materials. The LED indicator shows powered status.Always click the “safely remove hardware” every time your unplugging the drive to avoid data loss.
- Includes detachable cable
- Great hard drive protection
2. ORICO 2.5-inch USB3.0 Hard Drive Enclosure
This drive is well-suited toWindows 98/2000, XP, Vista, Lunix, and Mac OS. It transfers data 20% faster than USB 3.0 as much as your device is supported by UASP protocol. It supports SATA, HDD, and SSD up to 2Tb. All you need to do is to plug and play without the use of tools.
The brushed design matches your desk with metal-like casing and ABS materials to avoid scuffs.A shock pad is added for better protection. On the inner side, EVA foams are built to protect the hard disks. You’ll be notified by the LED indicator on the power status of the drive.
- Renders full protection
- Issues on its compatibility
3. Inateck 2.5-inch Hard Drive Enclosure
A convenient switch is a new feature that isn’t found on the prior hard drive enclosures.This helps to manually control and stop data transmission on your devices. The speed transmissiondependson your devicesettings.It matches on the devices same with the prior. The installation process doesn’t require any tools.
This one is thicker and more durable than the other enclosures. Besides, there’s a sponge cushion on its cover to keep away the hard drive from scratches and vibration.The operation status is shown on the LED indicator.
- Built-in switch
- Tool-free installation
- Highly durable
4. AmazonBasics – Both 2.5 and 3.5 inch Hard Drive Enclosure
You can turn SATA and HDD into a more portable external hard drive with AmazonBasics 3.5” Enclosure. It can be connected with OS Windows and Mac for up to 5Gbps of speed transfer. A backward connection is possible for USB 2.0. The LED indicator willgive you a sign when it is working properly.
It provides DC12V power connection and a power button. The self-adhesive sponge ensures an optimal fit for the drive. Its cushioning effect adds protection against scratches. The package includes an AC power adapter to power up the device.
- Many added accessories
- Ensures optimal fitting
- High transfer speed
- Slightly pricier than the other brands
- Makes unnecessary noise
5. Sabrent 2.5” EC-UASP Hard Drive Enclosure
This is 100% compatible with all SATA II hard drives. You can connect it with Windows and Mac devices with a speed of up to 5Gbpsvia USB 3.0 port. It is slower for backward connection from USB 2.0 port for about 480Mbps. This enclosure is easy to install with tool-free design. Itrenders a plug and play feature.
This is a user-friendly hard drive enclosure. The LED indicator shows the power and activity status of the enclosure. Tough construction with shock resistance assures the hard drive safety at all times. This product will let you save some bucks.
- The user-friendly hard drive enclosure
- High compatibility
- Very affordable
- The user-friendly hard drive enclosure
- High compatibility
- Very affordable
6. Sabrent 3.5” EC-UEIS7 Hard Drive Enclosure
A cooling fan is important to reduce heat on the hard drive. This prevents overheating that can damage your devices. This can support SATA and IDE hard drive. Connecting the hard drive to a PC or Notebook is easier. It reads up to 3Gbs files per second. This transfers data through a USB 2.0 port at a speed of 480Mbps.
It is compatible with Windows, Vista, and Mac. Reverse compatibility is possible with a USB 1.1 port. It has a power switch with an LED indicator to show power and activity status. The package included a screw set for installation.
- Built-in cooling fan
- Avoids overheating
- Pricier than the other brands
- Takes time to install
7. ORICO 3.5-inch External Hard Drive Enclosure
- Inserted with a 7mm shock pad, the enclosure cushions the device and fits the hard drive snuggly against the case. This not only prevents damage but also keeps it intact and prevents it from moving around too much.
- Extremely easy to use, the drive comes with easy to understand instructions and a long USB cable. This can be used to salvage files from a damaged computer by simply putting the hard drive into the enclosure and plugging it into an HDD compatible laptop.
- Lightweight: the enclosure is light and easy to carry and transport.
- Activity blinker: The enclosure has a blinker that indicates hard drive activity via a blinking light.
- Speedy writing and transfer: The Orico HDD enclosure aids speedy data reading ranging from around 321.6 MB/s to 409 MB/s and a writing range of 250MB/s to 299 MB/s. This also means that not only does this make your external hard drive more compatible but also aids faster data transfer.
- Extra protection: The Sabrent enclosure has a sponge for front and top protection of the external hard drive insertion that keeps it safe and protects sensitive data.
- Better design: The EC-UK3B has an aluminum enclosure: this is much more durable and provides better protection than regular plastic enclosures. The rubbers on the sides of the enclosure not only make it shockproof but also prevent it from overheating.
- Easy to use: Easy to use, the enclosure has an on and off button and shuts down automatically after 10-15 minutes of inactivity which saves power. Moreover, no drivers need to be installed. You can just plug it in and use it.
- Fast transfer: The enclosure aids fast data transfer and is USB 3.0 compatible.
9. SP ARMOUR A30 Hard Drive Enclosure – With hard drive
- Innovative design: This silicon enclosure has a military 810f rating that ensures protection under a diverse range of harsh conditions like high drop heights, harsh weather, extreme pressure, and humidity. Moreover, the wrap-around cable system makes it even handier and convenient.
- LED indicator: A blinking LED indicator indicates activity. What’s interesting is that the enclosure has been made in a way that there is a different color when working on 2.0 USB and a different one when working on a 3.0 USB.
- Widely compatible: Works on most software and is both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 compatible.
10. Sabrent EC-DFLT Hard Drive Enclosure
- Protection for the external drive: The extra casing, though bulky, provides extra protection to the external drive, protecting it from damage. However, the casing might lead to overheating due to lack of cooling options.
- No drivers needed: The swappable features make the external hard drive more widely compatible and can easily be used for file transfers without having to install any drivers.
- Super speed 3.0 USB: High-speed file transfer, this enclosure is USB 3.0 compatible.
- On/off button: A working on/off switch makes it easy for the user to save power by just turning off the enclosure by pressing the off button.
- One year warranty: This enclosure comes with a one year warranty, further increasing the consumer confidence in the product.
11. ORICO Tool Free Hard Drive Enclosure
- Innovative design: The exterior of the enclosure is durable and good quality, providing necessary protection to the external hard drive. Moreover, the interior is cushioned with a shockproof sponge providing further protection to the external hard drive.
- Speedy file transfer: Easy to use, the enclosure aids up to 5gbps of data transfer making it extremely handy when writing or reading a large volume of data.
- Compatible: Supported by most software, the enclosure is tool-free and does not need the user to download additional drivers to make the drive readable.
- One year warranty: The enclosure comes with a one year warranty further ensuring better value for money.
12. Vantec NexStar Hard Drive Enclosure
- Better protection: The enclosure provides exceptional protection to the external hard drive, making it a good option when using drives with sensitive data. The overall design has been accommodated to prevent overheating by designing the aluminum casting in a way that aids necessary ventilation. Moreover, the stand on the base of the enclosure makes it easy to use.
- Lightweight: The aluminum exterior makes it durable but at the same time takes away a lot regarding weight. This makes the enclosure lightweight, compatible and easy to carry around.
- Speedy transfer: Aids speedy transfer and is compatible its most programs
- Tools free: The closure does not require any additional drivers to be installed to be able to read and write data on the external hard drive. This makes it easy to use by simply plugging in the device.
- On/off button: The on/off button can be used to turn off the device when idle.
13. Rosewill Aluminum Hard Drive Enclosure
- Design: This enclosure is portable, stylish and small. The exterior of the enclosure is aluminum, providing necessary protection for the external hard drive inserted into the enclosure. The enclosure is lightweight which makes it easy to carry and portable.
- LED indicator: The LED indicator blinks when the device is active, letting the user know when the data transfer is complete.
- Low transfer rates: The rate of transfer is much slower compared to its above-mentioned counterparts making it a good choice for users looking to transfer small volumes of data.
- Low max capacity: With a maximum capacity of 2 TB, the capacity is ideal for users who need a small device for occasional light work.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQs)
Here are some of the frequently asked questions that might help you in getting the best hard drive enclosure:
How to choose the right hard drive enclosure?
You need to consider only four important things before buying a hard drive enclosure, including:
Price: Look for products in between underpriced and overpriced which is within your budget.
Materials used: Choose for shock and scratch-resistant enclosures.
Compatibility: Consider both forward and backward compatibility in picking a hard drive enclosure.
Transfer speed: A speed of 5Gbps and above is highly recommended.
Why should you buy a hard drive enclosure?
For two reasons, one is for hard drive’ safetyand the other reason is for easy carrying of data. Instead of handling your PC the whole time, you can carry a smaller device that contains your data.
Where to buy hard drive enclosures?
This is available online and in any device outlets worldwide. You can look for more products at Amazon.com.
How much is a hard drive enclosure?
Hard drive enclosures are sold at a very affordable price considering the hard drive itself is so expensive. You won’t be spending more than 50 dollars in buying a single hard drive enclosure.
Which of the reviewed products is best to buy?
We choose the ORICO USB3.0 Hard Drive Enclosure as our top pick. It has the best appearance among the other hard drive enclosures. Plus, it is very portable. The price is undeniably low while providing a high-compatibility performance. Its design excellently protects the hard drive from scratches andeven against vibration.Transferring files is done quickly with 5Gbps of speed.
What Is A Hard Drive Enclosure?
An external hard drive is used mainly to increase storage capacity on one’s laptop and by people who tend to move a lot of data around. In layman’s terms, an external hard drive is used to add extra storage to an existing laptop or PC.
An external hard drive case is simply the casing in which one can put their hard drive to either protect it from damage, spillage or to increase transfer speed. Here we review the top eight for you:
To Wrap Up…
The market is swarming with different varieties of enclosures, each perfect for a different purpose. The most lacking, regarding features, is the Rosewill Aluminium Enclosure. It does not have the USB 3.0 compatibility that is in line with modern standards. It also has a deficient read/write speed that makes it a poor choice when transferring large volumes of data.
The ORICO enclosure, though a good option, does not fare well when pitted against the Sabrent EC- UK38 because of its bulky design. Vantec NexStar comes in as a close second when looking to buy enclosures for its user-friendliness and durable aluminum body.
The Sabrent EC – UK38 is the best choice in term of the value for money it provides. Compared to the Sabrent EC-DFLT, and the Sabrent 2.5 inch. The Sabrent EC-UK38 offers better protection with its silicon outlining and design. This enclosure not only aids fast transfer but also prevents overheating, making it a top choice.