Do you remember what it was like to be a kid? If you do, then you can probably remember how fun it was to ride around on scooters, bunny hopping over sidewalk cracks. While scooters are fun and all, electric scooters are the next level.
Electric scooters are more than just fun – they’re a legitimate way to get where you need to go. For many people, scooters are their main method of commuting. This is especially true in large cities and downtown areas.
Top 7 Best Electric Scooters Reviewed
Now that we’ve covered everything you should consider when choosing an electric scooter, we’re going to review over the best electric scooters you can find. If you’ve ever taken a look at the electric scooter market, there are a ton of options, making it tough to narrow down your choice.
For your convenience, we’ve divided our list into two different parts: standing electric scooters and seated electric scooters. You may prefer one or the other depending on your commute distance, frequency, preference, etc.
Best Standing Electric Scooters Reviewed
Standing electric scooters are more lightweight than sitting electric scooters. They’re overall more portable and great for getting around on the quicks. If you’re looking for a standing electric scooter, we’ve reviewed 4 of the best models for you to consider.
1. Razor E100, E200, & E300 Electric Scooters
Razor is a well-trusted brand that many of us have already used when it comes to non-electric scooters. Even though there are some slight differences between the E100, E200, & E300 models, they are all similar enough to bunch into one review.
Similarities between all of the models include
- A larger, pneumatic front tire for smooth riding
- An “ultra-quiet chain-driven motor” with a twist-grip throttle to control your speed
- Hand-operated brake systems
- Recommended charging time of 12-24 hours
- You can ride for up to 40-45 minutes on a single charge, which may vary depending on conditions such as weather, terrain, rider weight, etc.
- Choose from different colors depending on availability.
Specifics of each model:
- Razor E100 : This model is suitable for children (ages 8+) since it has a maximum weight capacity of 120 pounds. Speeds top out at 10 miles per hour to ensure safe riding around the neighborhood. It’s also the most affordable option coming.
- Razor E200 : The E200 takes it up a notch with a higher top speed of 12 miles per hour and a weight capacity of 154 pounds. Consider this the model best for teens, though it can still be used by someone younger than 13. If you want a scooter that your child can grow into, choosing the E200 would be better than the E100 because of the higher weight capacity.
- Razor E300 : The Razor E300 is the adult version of the three models we’re covering. You get a 15 mile per hour top speed and 220 weight capacity. The front tire is also a bit larger at 10″ instead of 8″. The E300 is only a little bit more expensive than the E200.
Overall, all three of these Razor models are perfect for running quick errands and recreational use. They’re very affordable options as well if you just want an electric scooter for occasional use. If you want something for everyday commuting, then this electric scooter probably isn’t the best choice for you.
2. GOTRAX GXL Commuting Electric Scooter
If you want a scooter made for getting around the city with ease, then the GOTRAX GXL Commuting Electric Scooter is just what you needed. The design is sleek and colored black with red details. The features of this scooter are as follows:
- The ability to fold makes this scooter extremely portable and great for bringing on trains, buses, cabs, etc.
- It has a 12.5 mile distance capacity and can fully recharge in approximately 4 hours
- 8.5″ pneumatic, shock-absorbing, air-filled tires to provide riders with smooth traveling
- An anti-lock, double break system to give you full control
- You get a speedometer to track your speed as you ride
- Choose from 2 gears to ride on: 1st gear goes up to 10 miles per hour, 2nd gear tops out at 15 miles per hour
- A bright LED headlight is provided so you can ride safely at night
- Battery light indicators are provided to let you know when you need to recharge
The GOTRAX GXL is a great choice that is very portable and easy to use. The interface is very clean and easy to read while you’re on the go. Some people have mentioned being able to go faster than the advertised top speed, though that could be due to other factors.
With a price of this is a high-quality scooter that offers traveling convenience, simplicity, and is adaptable. Consider this ride for short trips to and from school and/or work.
3. Glion Dolly-Fold Scooter
Just like the GOTRAX GXL we just covered, the Glion Dolly-Fold Scooter also features a folding mechanism that offers a ton of traveling convenience. Some other cool feats are a cover to place over it while folded and the ability to roll it behind you like a rolling suitcase. Some more notable features from the Glion Dolly-Fold Scooter include:
- You get a quick 3.35 hour recharge time, which is extremely quick compared to many other electric scooter models we have reviewed on this list
- It weighs just under 30 pounds and can be rolled around like a suitcase
- A “1-second, foot activated folding mechanism” that makes folding and unfolding fast and easy
- Both tires are 8″ and feature a honeycomb interior to ensure they never go flat
- Max speeds reach up to 15 miles per hour
- Twist grip accelerator control on the right handle and a twist activated anti-lock, electronic brake system on the left handle
- Go up to 15 miles on a single, full charge
- A battery indicator is on the handlebar to easily show when you need a recharge
- They provide a pedestrian bell for you to use while you’re riding – use it to let pedestrians know you’re coming from behind them
- The frame is constructed of aircraft-grade aluminum that’s powdered to be anti-corrosive
- Waterproof controls to ensure riders can keep rolling through weather conditions
If you can’t tell, this Glion electric scooter is perfect for your everyday commuting. It can easily be brought around and charged at work or school to then be used on the way back home. The key benefits of this electric scooter are the folding mechanism and quick charge time.
Glion ensures that their model is made to withstand time and use. The frame is aircraft-grade aluminum which holds a lot of promise. The Glion Dolly-Fold Scooter has a price-tag of $499.99.
4. Swagtron Swagger Electric Scooter
Even if you’re someone who isn’t too fond of the word “swag”, the swag is undeniable with the Swagtron Swagger Electric Scooter. The design is minimal, foldable, and you also get a quick 1.5 hour charging time. Here we’ll list some more features of the Swagtron scooter here:
- An easy, folding mechanism makes this scooter compact and suitable for commuting
- The scooter itself is just about 15 pounds, which is super lightweight and easy to carry
- This scooter can support up to 250 pounds, meaning most adults will be able to use it
- A full recharge can be done in under 2 hours, making this one of the fastest charging electric scooters in the market
- Get speeds of up to 15 miles per hour
- Go up to a distance of 15 miles on just a single, full charge
- A smart battery management system helps to protect the battery from overvoltage, shortages, overheating, overcharging, and more
- A carbon fiber frame is lightweight and provides strong support
- The front wheel is motorized and suspended to better absorb shock while you ride
- The brakes are a dual-brake system to ensure safe swagging
- You get a built-in cruise control to make riding easy
- An ultra-bright LED headlight makes it so you can ride at night
- The user interface located right on the handlebars shows you details such as speed, battery level, an odometer and provides handbrake and throttle controls
As you can tell, this scooter is totally swagged out with tons of cool features to make life easier. Getting around the city with the Swagtron Swagger is made super easy. It does a great job and providing you with simplicity while at the same giving you a lot of control and versatility.
You can pick up this scooter in its classic black color for $459.00. This is an extremely affordable option on our best electric scooters list. If you want this scooter in pink, you can cough up a total of $288.58 – which you may find worth the extra money!
Best Seated Electric Scooters Reviewed
If you’re looking for a seated electric scooter, then we’ve got you covered. We have three reviews of the best scooters you can find on the market. One is perfect for kids, one is the top of the line, and the last is a great compromise of functionality and affordability.
5. Razor Pocket Mod Miniature Euro Electric Scooter
Our first sitting electric scooter is meant for kids ages 12 and up, though you can use it as an adult if you weigh under 150 pounds! It’s a cute ride that comes in several different styles so you can pick one up for a boy or girl. The features you get with the Razor Pocket Mod Miniature Euro Electric Scooter are:
- Top speeds of 15 miles per hour
- The weight capacity is 150 pounds and is suitable for children ages 12+
- A padded seat for comfort
- 12″ pneumatic tires and rear tire suspension that help to ensure smooth riding
- Retractable kickstand
- The battery can withstand up to 10 miles or 40 minutes of riding on a single, full charge
- Twist-grip throttling and hand operated rear brake for easy rider control
- Front light is provided to ensure visibility when riding at night
- Hidden storage is provided underneath the padded seat for discreet storage
While this scooter is very charming, it’s the best use is for quick trips to the corner store and rides around the neighborhood with friends. Any kid would love to use this scooter thanks to the awesome design. Overall, this would be a great gift for a kid and it’s also quite affordable with price tag of $405.99.
6. URB-E Foldable Scooter
If you want a seated electric scooter that also folds, then the URB-E Foldable Scooter is exactly what you’re looking for. Aside from USB-charging ports for you to charge your phone or tablet as you ride, you get other awesome features as well:
- Get some extra distance with this scooter since it can ride up to 20 miles on a single, full charge
- 10″ pneumatic tires give you a smooth ride
- A full charge can be achieved in just 4 hours
- The weight capacity is listed at 250 pounds (though people over 300 pounds have reported being able to safely ride)
- Speeds go up to 17 miles per hour
- The frame is constructed of aircraft-grade aluminum that is both lightweight and durable
- A folding mechanism makes this scooter extremely compact, portable, and self-standing
- Large holes in the frame make this scooter even more lightweight and aerodynamic for more speed
- Multiple USB charging ports are provided so you can charge your devices while you’re on the go
- This scooter has enough power to get you riding uphill
- A key is provided for you to turn on the scooter similarly to a car
The URB-E Foldable Scooter is an awesome choice for the daily commuter who is looking for a comfortable ride. Being able to be seated on your scooter while also having portability is a big plus. No to mention, the design is very cool and sleek.
The only thing that might hold you back from getting this scooter is the price tag. If you consider the money saved on maintenance, gas, insurance, and more when owning a car, you can consider the high price tag justified.
7. Razor Ecosmart Metro
The final scooter we’re going to review is the Razor Ecosmart Metro seated electric scooter. Another favorite by the Razor brand, this scooter is a huge hit on our list. The features you get with this scooter are as follows:
- A clean design features a powder coated, corrosion-proof white frame and a bamboo foot deck
- This scooter has a weight capacity of 220 pounds
- Charging is recommended after every use to ensure enough battery is available for next use
- Recommended charging to full battery is for a minimum of 12 hours and maximum of 24 hours
- The tires are large, pneumatic, and measure 16″
- A padded seat provides riders with a comfortable experience
- The quiet motor helps provide a better user experience
- Travel with speeds up to 18-20 miles per hour
- A single, full charge will provide you up to 60 minutes of continuous use
- The recommended age use for this scooter is 16 years and up
- A removable rear storage basket is provided to carry your personal belongings
- Acceleration can be controlled with the twist-grip on the handle
- A retractable kickstand is provided
- Rear brakes are hand operated for full rider control
- The seat and handlebars are adjustable to suit your preference
Compared to the standing Razor electric scooters we covered earlier, this is definitely a step-up! Settings can be adjusted to accommodate any rider’s comfort standards. This scooter is perfect for rides to and from work or school whether you’re in the city or suburbs.
The best part about this scooter has to be its affordable price tag of $399.00. Considering the savings you’ll already be getting by using your scooter instead of a car for many trips, that’s just awesome!
The Benefits of Owning an Electric Scooter
Wondering how an electric scooter can be a great choice to get around? Consider the following:
- Speeds range anywhere from 10-25 miles per hour
- No gas is needed! Just plug it in to charge
- If you are someone who likes going green, an electric scooter is an affordable choice compared to an electric car
- Most electric scooters will last anywhere from 40-45 minutes or up to 15 miles on a single charge
- Since scooters don’t need gas, you get to save a lot of money using a scooter instead of a car
- You can choose from standing or sitting scooters depending on your budget and preference
- Some scooters can easily fold up to a compact size for convenience
- An electric scooter can be a great, low effort alternative to another popular green method of transportation – bikes
Things to Consider
Before diving in and choosing what you think is either the cheapest or most expensive electric scooter on the market, there are several things you should definitely consider before making that final transaction.
Especially if you plan on using your electric scooter for daily commuting, you’ll want to be sure of its quality, durability, and ability to fit into your lifestyle and schedule. Make sure to keep in mind the following key points were about to cover.
Types of Electric Scooters
There is more than one type of electric scooter to choose from. The two main types are:
⦁ Standing Electric Scooters
⦁ Seated Electric Scooters
Which one you would prefer depends on your preference, budget, and travel distance. Typically, standing electric scooters are more affordable while sitting electric scooters have a bigger price tag.
If you’re looking for a folding electric scooter, then you’ll have more luck with a standing type, though one of the sitting scooters we’ll be reviewing is also foldable. This makes for a very portable scooter than you can bring with you just about anywhere.
Speed vs. Distance
Before choosing a scooter, you’ll want to be sure of what it tops out at in regards to speed. If you’re looking for an electric scooter to give as a gift to a kid or someone older, you’ll want to be sure it’s not too fast. If you’re going to use it to get to work in the morning, then you might want something a little quicker. It all really depends on the intended use.
Distance is another thing to consider. High speeds don’t mean long distance. In fact, many electric scooters with lower high speeds have such settings in order to provide a rider with more longevity. If your work is 15 miles away, you’ll want to be more than sure you can reach it without needing another charge up.
Charging & Where You’ll Charge Your Scooter
Different scooters have different charging times. Some scooters need to be plugged in for 12+ hours in order to get a full charge. Others only need 2 or 3 hours until they reach a full charge. It really depends on the type and model. Also, it’s important to allow the battery to fully drain before charging it again to ensure a long battery life.
Do you plan on charging your scooter at work, at a scooter charging station, or somewhere else? Currently, there aren’t that many scooter charging stations available in the United States. It’s important to consider whether you’ll have a reliable place to recharge or a reliable backup power source if your scooter starts to lose juice on the way home.
While an electric scooter is a great way to get to where you need to go, consider that you and your scooter won’t be protected from the weather conditions (rain, snow, wind, etc.). Will the scooter you choose be able to withstand these conditions? Are you in a high-temperature location that may damage technical elements over time?
Because you’re going to be exposed while riding on a scooter, it’s important to have a helmet on. Closed toe shoes are a must and additional padding is also great, but optional. Since electric scooters are a rarer mode of transportation, pay extra attention to those around you. They may not always know how to react.
It’s important that your scooter will be able to properly accommodate you or whoever will be riding it. Most scooters are built with a capacity of anywhere from 200-300 pounds, which means most people can use them.
Where You’ll be Riding
Cities, downtown areas, sidewalks, and other smoothly paved areas are all suitable for electric scooters. Many scooters are capable of going uphill while rough terrain should generally be avoided.
If there is rough terrain on your planned route, it would be best to use a different mode of transportation to cover that terrain. You can then use your scooter to cover the rest of your route if that works. If the rough terrain is unavoidable, you’ll need a special type of scooter or you may also need to consider that an electric scooter is not ideal for your circumstances.